“Why we need 1700 temples for only 3 million Indians in Malaysia? It does not make sense but we still continue to build temples and fight for it. We only…More ► More ▼ “Why we need 1700 temples for only 3 million Indians in Malaysia? It does not make sense but we still continue to build temples and fight for it. We only have 450 Tamil schools in Malaysia and it is getting lesser,” says a news-group posting from Hindraf, New York. At least the Indian Tamils raise the issue, but the more affluent Jafanese or Ceylonese have forgotten Tamil and Tamil schools with their first generation. Now, even to give ‘tuition’ in Tamil only a few of the old generation remain, commented an Eezham Tamil refugee recently went to Malaysia.
Edited text of the posting from hindraf.newyork:
When will we change?
Here are the facts:
- Why we need 1700 temples for only 3 million Indians in Malaysia? It does not make sense but we still continue to build temples and fight for it. We only have 450 Tamil schools in Malaysia and it is getting lesser.
- Every Friday, temples in the cities earn minimum of $500 ($2000 per month), no electricity bill and no water bill. Tamil schools get $50 per child per year and pays electricity bill, water bill, teacher’s salary and maintenance every month.
- Most temples in cities are renovated, air conditioned and owns a beautiful wedding hall. Tamil schools were built in 1970's and still remain the same with broken tables and chairs, spoiled fan and lights, buku pinjaman (book borrowed) torn, bad environment for students and teachers. Have you seen one Tamil school fully air conditioned except the HM room?
- $2 million was donated by Indian people for the Statue of Lord Muruga of Batu Caves built by Indians; minimum $10 million spend every year during Thaipusam by devotes. Why blame government for not giving allocation fund for Tamil schools, why can't we just pay $1 for praying and $9 for Tamil School?
- Minimum $200 spent by Indian alcoholics on every weekend for clubbing and entertainment. When asked for donation of $5 for Tamil School, we run away or ignore.
- In every Indian house there is TV, HI-FI Radio, CD/DVD player and the classic Astro. They have watched all the latest Tamil movies even it's not yet out in theatre. Our children have to get buku pinjaman (book borrowed from the library), no revision book, never been to a bookstore, never encouraged to take up piano class, violin class, swimming or language class other than those offered in school. No computer at home and the reason is ‘can't afford one.’
These are some of the issues that we ignore and still continue doing it. Some of you may consider Tamil Education a waste of time. But the rest of Indians are also going to ignore it or going to make a change?
Please don't forget that in the 80's, Chinese schools and Tamil Schools were at the same level as Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan. There were more students in Tamil Schools and the infrastructure was same for both schools.
But today, look at Chinese Schools and compare it with our Tamil Schools (sigh). Please take note that most of the Chinese Schools are run 100% without government support. For your info, our government is trying their level best to abolish these two schools, their dream is coming true for Tamil Schools but not for Chinese Schools.
If you really care, just spend 2 minutes and take a look at any Chinese Schools nearby your house. You can see the parents waiting in their Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, Honda and even motorbike to pick up their kids from school back home.
We have never seen any Indian parents with their Mercedes, BMW, Honda or Toyota waiting for their kids outside Tamil Schools.