Y.A.B. DATO’ SERI ABDULLAH AHMAD BADAWI
Prime Minister of Malaysia
Block Utama,Bangunan Perdana Putra,
Pusat Pentadbiran Kerajaan Persekutuan,
Tel: 03 8888 8000
Fax: 03 8888 3444
Re: Truth and Reconciliation Commission on the discrimination and
Maginalisation of Malaysian Indians
May we firstly congratulate your goodself and your party in winning the 12th General Election held on 8/03/2008.
As your goodselves have acknowledged the winds of change and the past mistakes, may we humbly propose that your goodselves form the Truth and Reconciliation Commission with regards to the very sad state of affairs, discrimination and maginalisation of especially the 80% Malaysian Indian poor. With the sincere formation of this commission we hope to move forward and grow together from now onwards in the True spirit of oneness, and equality and equal opportunity for all the poor especially the Malaysian Indian poor and mostly importantly humanity. The Malaysian Indians have persistently complained about the following:
(1) Hardly any kindergartens in Tamil schools as opposed to Malay schools and the kemas kindergartens, which literally excludes Indians.
(2) After 50 years of independence about two thirds of 523 Tamil schools in Malaysia are not fully aided.
(3) Indians are not allowed into Mara Junior Colleges, Fully Residential Schools, Giat Mara Technical Schools, Matriculation Schools, Islamic Universities and many other educational institutions save and except the very few to show color.
(4) All deserving Indians unlike their Malay Muslim brothers are denied places in the local public universities especially in the critical courses like medicine, dentistry, engineering, bio technology, accountancy etc. on an equal opportunity basis.
(5) Overseas posting, training, scholarships, placements are denied to all deserving Indian students on an equal opportunity basis.
(6) 30% of this Indian population can’t even properly read and write in the National language.
(7) 60% of deaths in police custody (one in every two weeks) and by police shooting (one in every week) and detainees in police lock ups and prisons are Indians when they only form about 8% of the total population.
(8) Indians have the highest suicide rate (for every 100,000 there are 35 Indians, 8 Chinese and 5 Malays).
(9) Civil service jobs for Indians have dwindled from about 60% in 1957 to about 2% today in 2008 with very little promotion prospects.
(10) Top executive and managerial positions in the civil, corporate, banking, government linked companies, small and medium sized industries are denied to all deserving Indians on an equal opportunity basis.
(11) Hindu Temples are indiscriminately demolished at the rate of one Hindu Temple in every three weeks.
(12) 40,000 children are without even birth certificate in the first place, in the state of Selangor alone (Estimated at least 100,000 nationwide) which is their innate birthright.
(13) Direct discrimination, marginalisation and racism from the counter level onwards both at the public and private sectors.
(14) 60% of police abuse of powers cases are against the Indians (unlawful detention and torture etc).
(15) Affirmative action programs e.g. PNB, Bank Pertanian, Felda, Felcra, Risda, UDA are completely closed to the Indians.
(16) Licenses, permits, business opportunities are denied to all deserving Indians on an equal opportunity basis.
(17) Distribution of contracts, projects, legal work, panel ship etc. both in private and public sectors almost always exclude Indians.
With this we hope from now onwards the Indians would be treated accordingly to Article 8 of the Federal Constitution (Equality before the Law). We hope for sincerity on your part. We hereby pray for an appointment to meet your good self with the sincere view to move forward.
P Waytha Moorthy