PRESS STATEMENT 03042009
1) HINDRAF acknowledges that our grass root supporters are disappointed that the Bukit Selambau seat was not offered to any of the 5 short listed candidates (two of whom were HINDRAF coordinators and remaining 3 were reputable KEADILAN local leaders) and urge our supporters to remain focussed and calm.
2) I had spoken to HINDRAF National Coordinator RS Tanendran and he confirms that most of his statements had been taken out of context and manipulated by the government run media to portray that HINDRAF does not support PAKATAN to create confusion and anxiety amongst supporters.
3) The discretion of candidate selection in Bukit Selambau was within the prerogative of Dato Seri Anwar Ibrahim along with the other leaders of the PAKATAN coalition. However we hope in future there would be some level of consultation with HINDRAF to avoid any unwarranted confusion.
4) Our mutual “Political Enemy” would be no other than the BN imperialist government. Our goal is to create awareness of the depleted state of her subject, to stay focussed by initiating actions by working together hand in hand in fairness to ensure we successfully get rid of our “common enemy” in the next elections. After 50 years HINDRAF created the awareness that changed the mindset of 80% traditional Indian BN voters who had always been loyal to BN.
5) It is time all Pakatan leaders-Dato Seri Anwar Ibrahim, Mr.Lim Kit Siang and Dato Seri Haji Hadi Awang realise that the current Political climate has to be maximised. If we fail to work and act together to get rid of BN in the next GE (2012) then the hope of opposition ever taking over the reign of the Country will die permanently and I honestly envisage the crack and crumble of PAKATAN from then on.
6) I had the opportunity to discuss pertinent questions raised by grass root supporters of HINDRAF with Dato Seri Anwar Ibrahim and we had come to an understanding that matters affecting the Indian community would be further discussed and resolved at a later date with leaders of all 3 PAKATAN coalition.
7) The Indian voters in Bukit Gantang and Bukit Selambau are aware of the predicament of the society and are now politically mature thus they could not be fooled by BN and their “peanuts” often thrown during elections.
8) HINDRAF reiterates its commitment to campaign and support PAKATAN candidates in both Bukit Gantang and Bukit Selambau.